The Ballet Uniform
Our students love wearing leotards in pink or black! At Dance Inc. we have special performance wear so all our girls look and feel gorgeous for their stage work. Please note that class wear is a leotard, skirt and ballet shoes and the choice of colour is totally yours! In cold weather a ballet jersey or long sleeve vest may be worn. Leggings and leg warmers are also optional in winter as long as we can see your daughter’s body easily.
Order your dance wear at your free class
We like split sole Red Rain canvas ballet shoes in pink because they are machine washable and come with the elastics already sewn on! Ballet socks and stockings will make it easier to get shoes on in summer. The socks really can last forever!
The Ballet Bun
What you will need for a ballet bun
1. Brush your hair carefully so its tangle free.
2. Then pull your hair back into a high ponytail, and fasten with a hair elastic band.
3. Add gel to the top sides and back of the head (not the pony tail)
4. Use a fine tail comb to smooth the hair towards the pony tail, clip it in place with hair grips as close to the pony as you can (don’t worry we’ll cover those clips with the bun)
5. Next, twist that ponytail into a bun shape by wrapping it in a circle around the base of the ponytail until you have a bun.
6. Fasten with hair pins.
7. Add your hair net this secures the bun to the head and you may need to wrap it around twice.
8. Spray with hair spray for the fine hairs and you’re done!
Awards and Achievements
At Dance Inc. we award our students for the following achievements.
- Gorgeous Grooming – for being so beautiful
- Spunk – for being spectacular
- Pure Pleasure – for being an angel
- Dazzling Dancer – for being so sparkly
- Personality – for being so dazzling
- Bubbly Ballerina – for being a delight
- Most Promising Dancer – for being incredible
- Best Beginner – for catching up so brilliantly
- Dependable Dream – for being so astoundingly ready for everything
- Sweet Surprise – for being the sweetheart in our studio
- Special Award – for being an the most promising teacher-to-be
- Tiny Tot – for being the youngest ballerina
- Time – for being the longest standing pupil at ballet
- Punctuality – for being on time every time
- Manners – for being a complete treasure and having such divine manners
- Flexibility Award – for stretching yourself
- Diligence – for being consistent in your quest for perfection
- Most Improved – for taking the bulls by the horns and working so hard Brilliant
- Brain – for being on the ball all the time
- Grace Award – for being so graceful and elegant
- Gold + Students – for achieving this result in the American Academy Syllabus
- Work Awesome Award – for stepping up & doing hard things
All performances require:
Spotlessly clean ballet shoes with sewn elasticsHair in a perfect bun
- Make up (foundation, and lots and LOTS of layers of mascara plus brown eye-shadow if you wish to wear this)
- Dancers to arrive in casual wear with their well-marked ballet clothes in a well-marked bag.
- Please have 2 pairs of ballet tights in your ballet bag
- A well-marked pair of socks to be worn over clean ballet shoes to keep them super clean
- Dancers should be aware that absolutely NO TALKING is permitted back-stage
- A water bottle and a light snack
As ballet is a performing art – we nurture this facet of training with three opportunities to perform on stage annually (one of which is in a theatre).
Dancers who are age 5 by March are taught the AAB (American Academy of Ballet) syllabus. The children are officially entered for this at the beginning of March at a cost of R515. They perform class exercises and a dance for the Academy’s Adjudicator and thereafter are awarded a medal and certificate based on that performance that same evening. Your daughter will perform this in the September.
The AAB syllabus provides the following:
- Each student performs a solo dance before an audience and does not have to be a star to enjoy this moment of glory. Every student has a chance to be in the spotlight.
- The entry fee is modest providing the parents with the great pleasure of seeing their daughter’s performance.
- The medal and certificate are a permanent recognition of personal endeavour and achievement for each student.
- Enjoyment of the program – both in the learning process and in the actual performance.
- Improve at a truly amazing rate, stimulated by the dance quality inherent in the program, and the prospect of being awarded a Gold medal.
- Are challenged to achieve their personal best by the increasing demands made by the program.
Kindly contact us for more information on this years fee structure.
Current fee structure:
Beginners- Level 4 @ R550/m
Level 5 + @ R750/m (+ free Pilates)
Pointe students @ R975 (+ free Pilates)
Your once-off registration fee of R450 for admin and international syllabus includes a ballet tutu for girls or dance shorts for boys.